Thursday, May 27, 2010

2010 FIFA World Cup: Argentina's Lionel Messi 'Embarrassed' By Comparisons To Diego Maradona

http://southafrica-2010-fifa-worldcup.blogspot.com/
Argentina star Lionel Messi has declared that he is embarrassed to be compared to FIFA World Cup winning legend and current coach Diego Maradona.

The Barcelona forward and current FIFA World Player of the Year is often judged against the abilities of the past master Maradona but Lionel Messi says he doesn't like the comparisons, labeling them an "offense" to 'El Pelusa'.

The talismanic 22-year-old also declared that he still has to prove himself at a FIFA finals to be considered amongst the greats.

"I do not like it. I am embarrassed that I get compared to Diego. It's an offense [to him]. To be the best player in the world I have to prove it at the World Cup," Lionel Messi is quoted as saying by Sport before adding that he is proud to represent the Albicelestes.

"I’m Argentine and I like to play for my country."

Argentina kick off their World Cup campaign vs. Nigeria on June 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment